A Quilting Weekend

Last weekend I went to Shalom Retreat House in Dubuque, Iowa for a four day quilt retreat. My SIL, Judy, and her friend, Kay, inspired me to come along. Their quilt shop in Cedar Rapids, IA sponsors this event twice a year. It was great fun, filled with lots of laughter and LOTS of sewing. Here are the photos from this productive weekend.

Monica w lovely purse

Monica's almost fnished quilt top..great colors

Patty with her Noah's Ark quilt

Patty's "circle" blocks (Libby Lehman pattern w Ricky Tims Fabric

More of Patty's circle blocks

Patty's duck baby quilt

Kathy working on Backyard Safari quilt

Kathy's lovely purses for the grandchildren

One of Kathy's many finished projects....Beautiful for any little girl

Lisa made a beautiful purse for someone who just learned of a serious illness

Lisa's lovely quilt top finished

Theresa with a small Halloween pillow cover

Theresa's Mom hand pieced this quilt a long time ago. Theresa had it hand quilted by some Amish women.

Betty Jo and Joanna enjoying the day

Betty Jo and the cute boxer shorts she made

Batik Purse made by Betty Jo

Betty Jo sewing a labor of love (buggy barn style) for the family of someone recently passed away

Terese working on a Paris Flea Market scrap quilt

Sue and her batik quilt...she was making LOVELY borders for this one.

Connie working on her Christmas Card basket

Connie and her monkey baby quilt....what a fun piece

Kay made this lovely table runner as a gift

Kay made several of these lovely purses, two with her Dad's ties

Another purse with a tie

Kay's lovely blue version

Kay also made this lovely table topper with tiny, tiny pieces

Kay also did this lovely fish (going to be a pillow)

Andrea sure is enjoying the creativity

Andrea's Rocket ship almost done

Rosie made this lovely sports quilt for a special needs friend

Heather working on fleece pants for her son and several neck warmers

Judy's beautiful batik fish quilt

Judy's Zen quilt

Jill's homespun quilt

Jill's red and white beauty she quilted this weekend

Jill's blue and brown all finished quilting

And LAST…BUT NOT LEAST…I did finish one quilt top…my Summer Nana’s Garden quilt. I also did a star quilt, but have not taken photos….next blog I will show you.

Averyclaire's finished summer scrap quilt

Hope you enjoyed the photo show.   If you have never been on a quilt retreat or a needlework retreat…you really must go.   It is a lot of fun, very relaxing and quite inspiring.

Amities……Averyclaire

1. Margaret
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 11:50:18

Wow! Fantastic! I love seeing all the beautiful work! Thanks for sharing! Looks like a whole lot of fun.

2. Nanouanne
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:20:25

Many thanks from France for this photo show. I especially love all the purses and bags. The grey and pink one is a marvel. Unfortunately here we do not have this sort of quilting retreat with that fun. A friend pointed that the reason may be we do not like that much going away to have fun without our dear husband.
    Would you believe that one?

3. Jane
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 13:04:49

What a great time you all had

4. Jackie
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 19:06:18

It looks like everyone had a really productive weekend! I’ve been on two retreats and while I got a lot done, I didn’t get as much done as one would think with three full days. One of the best thing about a retreat is seeing what everyone is working on and your group was working on some really lovely projects.

5. Doris
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 10:43:28

beautiful and inspiring work.

6. An Older Woman
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 18:56:29

Oh wow. So many beautiful pieces. Where do I start. I really love the Batik purse and quilt, and those FISH! Amazing. All of the pieces are amazing. I have a question about the Amish handquilters. I have a quilt I want quilted, but for the money I’ve seen published, I would like a personal recommendation before I send a check. So could you ask Theresa for, first, how well they quilted. Was she happy? Number of stitches per inch, and did she see a difference in the quality around the quilt, as there are several people working on these quilts at once? And were they timely? And perhaps even their price. Or, in the alternative, and this would be much easier, could you give her my email and just have her contact me. I’d be happy to call her if she’d prefer, so we can talk it out. We could do all this through email, and not on this venue.

That’s a lot to ask, but I am all over Amish quilters. I think they’re the best, but it’s hard to know who’s who and what’s what over the Internet. If this is too much, or she doesn’t want to share, I totally understand and will not be insulted or hurt. The truth is Theresa doesn’t know me any better than I know any Amish quilters.

Thanks, and thanks too for these beautiful photos and sharing the event with us. What a great time you must have had, and no, I’ve never gone on this type of retreat, but that’s mostly because I couldn’t find anyone to go with me. I’m retired and ready for just this type of thing. Thanks again. Patsye