Update on the Past Few Months

My days are empty without your blogs and our friendships.   So while I cannot promise to blog often, I am back.   To all  who have written lovely notes I cannot thank you enough.   You brighten my day.   I am still fighting whatever it is that plagues me, but I am managing better.   There are still no answers, nor any cures.   I watch my food intake very carefully as there are a lot of foods that will trigger attacks.   My DH and I continue to walk most days (except for the bad weather or bitter cold) and the exercise helps.   A good portion of my time is taken up with research online and in books learning more and more about my symptoms and how to relieve them.   Half my days are good, half my days are not good.   So I will share with you my good days and hopefully my spirits will stay up as well.

Unfortunately, there is not much in the way of  “Needlearts” to share with you.   However, I have recently finished making four “Quilts for Kids” from my stash.   Such a good feeling…not just in helping children with cancer, but also a relief to shorten the stash even by a little.   And even better, there was a great camaraderie with my fellow quilters in doing this.    Here are some photos:

I helped at the Stitch in Public Day with my Needleartisans Group at the beginning of this month.   Several of us assisted in teaching women and children to learn cross-stitch and whatever else we could help them with.   My granddaughter, Sophia (10 years old), was an immense help as well.   I taught her to embroider, stitch, and sew last summer.   She was thrilled to be a part of our group.  (Photos can be seen at Southpaw Stitcher entry of Feb. 4th.)  I have also taken the job of treasurer for this group.   It’s not a lot of work and I truly enjoy the new friends I have met and work with each month.

I completed the dining room renovation for my daughter….her draperies are now hung.   You can’t see the draperies…but here is a photo of Sophia and her Dad in the dining room getting ready for the “Daddy/Daughter Dance.”

At home here after the holidays I worked very hard at de-junking everywhere I could (especially my studio).   Still have lots of work to do…but so satisfying.   I have lost three sizes during my illness and many of my clothes need to be packed up and taken to the resale shop.   Lots more to do.

There are no new needlework projects to show, but I have been working diligently to finish some old ones.  I am very sad that I have not done anything wonderful in the needlearts area.   One does not feel much like creating when one does not feel well.   However, my unfinished applique quilt is coming along quite nicely.   I have completed 11 blocks, am in the middle of 12…and have four more after this.   Then I will have three quilts in my possession simply waiting to be quilted.   I had BETTER GET BUSY..!!    Here are photos of the three additional blocks I have finished.

My new granddaughter, Maya, is growing quickly.   She is 7 months old already!    I miss her so much.   They were here in Chicago for a week during the holidays.   But my DS and DIL keep my inbox filled regularly with photos.   Don’t you just LOVE technology?!   Hope to see her for her birthday in Boulder, CO sometime this summer.

Well I think that is enough news for now.   Wish I had accomplished more during these past few months…alas…tomorrow’s another day.   For now I am happy to be back and will spend some time catching up on all of your blogs as soon as I can.   Thank you again for your kind notes.

Amities, Averyclaire

1. Jane
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 01:50:31

Glad to hear from you again, but sorry you are still struggling with the illness. It can be very frustrating not to be able to do what you what, but take each day as it comes. The applique blocks look good, and accomplishment when you consider the circumstances. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best

2. Nanouanne
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 02:07:24

This is a very welcome post and I am glad to read you again here. I just realize that I did not understand properly your health issues and then I feel sorry for the letter you received that might sometimes have been be out of place…
    Reading your post, I think you are highly underestimating (is that an English word?) your needlework…First, it is great, and second, it seems it makes you quite busy doing this and that here and there. What you are doing for the Others is amazing! I know a few people who are not doing a tenth of your work but are doing very well in the quilting world. Though this sort of consideration does not help…
    I just want to say that to me you are an amazinglly great person I fortunately happened to meet in real, and that you can be proud of what you are doing and of the way you and DH try to overcome your troubles.
    PS: what is the DDDance???
    I send comforting and loving hugs

3. Annie
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 06:47:39

Looks to me like you’ve managed to do quite a lot! That’s so nice of you to make those quilts. And you really have the most beautiful grandchildren! I’m sure they give you great joy.

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with health issues. My thoughts are with you.

4. Jackie
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 07:04:03

So glad that you feel like dipping your toe back into blogging and continue to hope your health improves. Your granddaughters are absolutely adorable! It looks like you’ve been plenty busy to me and your applique blocks look wonderful. Welcome back friend!

5. Margaret
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 08:22:03

So sorry about your health issues. You’ve kept busy despite them, which is wonderful. How lovely to make quilts for those kids with cancer, and to help women out as well. Your granddaughter is so beautiful — father/daughter dances are so great! Your applique blocks are gorgeous!

6. Virtual Quilter
    Feb 18, 2012 @ 23:02:27

The face in that last photo looks like someone is missing her grandies!

Hope you feel up to blogging more … I miss you too. Try your best to keep well.

Judy B

7. Doris
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:29:38

i am glad to see yor blog again, you have a beautiful granddaughter!. your blocks look great.

8. Ulla's Quilt World
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 13:16:19

Your quilts/crafts are so fantastic! It’s so nice to find other quilters all around the world!
    Hugs, Ulla (from Finland)

9. An Older Woman
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 17:58:42

I agree with Annie. You’re getting so much done! I am really happy you are back, but I understand that taking care of yourself and taking it easy is the most important thing. My heart is with you and hope that you find answers to your ailment. As a nurse, I know that some things creep into your life, but then they creep out and no one ever knows why. I’m under an attack of psoriasis on my hands that has been absent for over four years. Who knows why it’s back, but I’ll be good and glad when it’s gone again, and it is leaving slowly. We sometimes just have to be patient (pun intended.)

Your squares are spectacular. Your grandchildren are even prettier. Your daughter is lucky to have you helping her, and you are so smart to stay active in a group. I could take lessons from you; you seem to have things in good order.

So let me be the last to welcome you back. My cold knocked me out and I still haven’t caught up, but this was a wonderful surprise. I look forward to more of your posts and lovely emails. Patsye